The Historic Julia Morgan Beach House in Tahoe
Situated on 180 feet of shoreline that leads to one of the longest, most pristine beaches in all of Lake Tahoe, this historic beach house—designed by Julia Morgan in 1936—has recently been acquired by the residential golf community Clear Creek Tahoe and restored to its former glory as a lakeside retreat for members to enjoy.
Morgan, a prolific American architect in California, designed over 700 buildings in her lifetime; she is best known for her work the Hearst Castle in San Simeon, California.
Named “Twin Pines” after the two giant Ponderosa pines that stood between it and the lake, the Julia Morgan beach home was given new life by interior designers Jim Smith of Serving the Nation and Eric Voulgaris of Rooms & Gardens, as well as landscape architect Gail Willey Landscapes.
The final product is a waterside cottage that epitomizes the Lake Tahoe lifestyle while still paying homage to the original era of the beach house and its architect. The home is littered with vintage treasures, including down-filled furniture and a mahogany bookcase dating to 1919. Collections of old catcher’s mitts, snowshoes, and water skies are reminiscent of the athletic pursuits that have taken place in the destination over the past 80 years.
The home will be used by members year-round to relax après-ski or as a place to join the club’s boat to cruise around the lake.