Guest Post: Sue’s five faves
Style guru Sue De Chiara, author and curator behind The Zhush blog and online shop, shares the five items she thinks every mountain home must have:
I’m here to chat about a subject near and dear to my heart: home accessories. For you, I’ve narrowed down my ever-growing list of decorative accents to the top five must-haves for every mountain home.
1. A chic catch-all tray. This small ceramic tray from my shop, zhush.com, is a great way to stylishly stash your keys, spare change and even fishing lures. We have several in our Vermont vacation home, in the guest bedroom and in the mudroom entryway.
2. Vibrant artwork.Â Even though most mountain homes have stunning views, it’s nice to mix it up with some eye-catching abstract art, which can help pull together the colors in a room. This lovely piece, a favorite of mine, is from Laura Trevey’s etsy shop, Bright, Bold and Beautiful. Etsy is such a great source for finding beautiful and affordable original artwork.
3. A bit of whimsy. Why not add a fun and unexpected twist to your coffee table or vignette?Â This large gold wishbone, another personal favorite from zhush.com, is perfect for adding a metallic accent to a room. It’s also a great conversation piece.
4. Greenery. It’s nice to have a bit of nature around the house, but if you’re like me, it’s also hard to keep plants alive. I adore these faux topiaries from Diane James Home. Favored by high-end designers for their realistic look, these beauties are an especially smart choice for weekend or vacation homes.
5. A cozy throw. Even in warmer months, most mountain homes can get chilly in the evenings or when the clouds roll in, which is why it’s a good idea to have some warm, soft throws around. This charcoal herringbone throw works well with any style of decor.
There you have it, my five essential mountain home accents. Now tell me, what are your favorites?